Friday, August 29, 2008

Promoting Local Talent

Ok, so a couple of months ago... I went to see Martin Kerr perform at the Baha'i Centre here in Edmonton. Martin, as you might remember, made it to the top 16 on this season of Canadian Idol. Along with Martin that evening, a young lad by the name of Joe Nolan performed one of his original songs. I was gobsmacked. This guy is 18 yrs old, and the talent in him is unreal. His voice is very unique... one of those that you could listen to w/o knowing the song and know who's singing! His guitar playing was beautiful and the lyrics and insight in his music was like listening to a Bob Dylan song or Neil Young. Those were the 2 influences that I heard from his stuff immediately.

Joe, Martin and Joe's father all performed that evening. It was wonderful to watch and hear. The talent was just oozing! Fabulous!

I find myself going to his MySpace page often so I can listen to his tracks!! I really like "This World's Half Asleep". I'm hoping to get down to Megatunes (where his CD is for sale) sometime next week, once Fiona's in school and I can take the other 2 for a nice leisurely trip on the LRT and city bus :)

My point? I want to spread the word, and share his music! He's got a cd out, that seems to be only available at an independant music store here in Edmonton, or to be purchased from Joe himself! The album is called "Pocket Dreams".

This is an article about Joe in the Ft Saskatchewan paper. Ft Sask., is only a 15 min drive from our house... closer than driving to Whyte Ave! ;)

Please check him out, and if you like what you hear... spread the word!

No comments: